click here for PDF version
Bruce Hagen, PMP
145 Grevillia Drive, Petaluma CA 94952-6111 BruceHagen.PM@gmail.com Mobile: (707) 338-7363
Project Management Professional skilled in starting and leading high-performance teams, especially in technical endeavours; in managing complex and multiple projects; in systems analysis, group problem-solving, and process engineering; and in integrating divergent disciplines and interests. Superb leadership, planning, organizational, communication and conflict resolution skills. An innovator and change-agent, excelling in new enterprises.
- Received PACE award for leading 100+ person team in $10 million project to develop and release System 7.1 for SBC, AFC’s first major product released on schedule.
- Led Release 9.0a Team to on-time delivery to Verizon and SBC.
- Led Software Improvement Tiger Team, reducing costs and improving quality of software releases.
- Established and managed an action-item register for AFC engagement with SBC, contributing to Product Approval from AFC’s first RBOC account.
- Initiated and led Eco AFC team -- Project “Watt Swat” reduced electric bill $100,000 in first year.
- Founded the FibreCats, a rock band that raised morale and rallied project teams toward their goals.
- Managed the conversion of 800 employees worldwide from CCMail to Outlook 98.
- Pioneered use of network conferencing for collaboration with remote offices.
- Created the Evo(lution) award to recognize employee achievements.
Computer & Telecommunications Services, Pacific Gas & Electric, 1990- 1998
Supervised team of Network/PC Analysts serving 1,400 clients at a dozen dispersed locations. Performed technical desktop, server, and IP network HW and SW support.
Provided service management for new residential energy services. Designed and evaluated market research. Lead focus groups and re-engineering teams.
- Successfully pursued the substitution of Microsoft NT workstations for UNIX workstations in a $5 million project, which saved over $1 million in hardware and training costs.
- Reduced cycle time for approval of major software (AutoCAD) contract, saving $800k.
- Awarded special recognition for 50% reduction in software rollout costs via process reengineering.
- Championed development of a “do-it-yourself” energy audit, saving over $1 million/year.
United States Senate
LEGISLATIVE ASSISTANT 1978-1980
Managed environmental legislation, constituent and media communications.
Professional Certifications and Skills
- Shepherded three bills into federal law, including renewable energy tax credits, and sanctions against outlaw whaling which prevented extinction of the sperm whale.
- Project Management Professional (PMP®), Project Management Institute
- Proficient with Agile CM (Version 8.5, 9.0) in initiator and approver roles.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, especially Project, Excel and Word.
Bachelor of Arts, Environmental Studies, UC Santa Barbara. December 1974 GPA 3.4
Boards and Commissions: Petaluma Recreation, Music and Parks Commission (1997-2005); Petaluma Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Commission (1999-2005); Sonoma County Cultural Arts Council (1997-99); Petaluma General Plan Citizens Committee (1984).
Not for Profit work: Petaluma Phoenix Center (since 2005, President since 2008); COTS Homeless Children’s Haven program (since 1995); Boys and Girls Club, CYO Basketball coach (7 seasons); Isla Vista Food Cooperative (Co-founder, VP, 1974-75);
Education work: Grant School Site Council (1989-90); Beyond War Foundation (1983-87); Junior Achievement (1982)
Environmental work: Petaluma Green Lane (founder, 2004); Friends of Lafferty Park (since 1995); Sustainable Petaluma Network (since 1999); Environmental restoration projects (dozens of days); U.C. Irvine Ecology Action (1971-72); Gilroy High Bicycle Club; Hunger Walk (1969-70)
Journalism: Bi-weekly columnist for Petaluma Argus Courier ( 240 columns since 1999)